Monday, December 27, 2010

What is "Breakdancing"?


Many people often times are amazed by "breakdancing". With its many aerial and strength aspects, "breakdancing" captures the attention of almost anyone anywhere. When asked why, all the reasons that one may get can be simply summarized with three words: It is impressive. However, only people with sufficient background of the art form can truly see the beauty and uniqueness behind the flow of the each movement. Whether its the flow or the musicality that a "breakdancer" brings to the floor, it is all connected, in some way, to a dancer's "soul".

The problem at hand is the number of people that can actually appreciate such art form. Many who decides to be dedicated to this form of expression are often times motivated to search deep within the root of this dance and discover the history. However, many people who decides to pursue this hobby for materialistic/superficial reasons fail to perceive the importance of knowing what the art form actually is.

Growing up from a suburb area, it wasn't until recent years that I learned the true name of the dance which I used to call "breakdancing". The real name behind "breakdancing" is another term known as "bboying". The term "bboying" comes from the term "beat boy". The name is pretty self-explanatory. The term "beat boy" is named because a bboy dance to a specific beat. The pace of the beat can be exemplified through the majority of James Brown's music

I daresay that the majority of the general public are ignorant of the existence of a social movement known as "Hip Hop". Now, I am not an expert, nor do I know enough to really preach/teach about this social movement. However, I can differentiate between the fake and the real thing. An outsider would most likely say, "Of course I know what Hip Hop music is!"

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah!"

"Can you tell me what it is then?"

"Well, duh, Hip Hop music! Artists like Jay-Z, Souljaboy, Usher, people like that!"


*facepalm*

So what is "Hip Hop"?

Well, I don't know the answer well enough to really say anything deep about it. Heck, I am still trying to figure out the answer myself. However, there are a few pointers that I learned by watching a documentary made by Benson Lee. Planet bboy, a wonderful documentary, pretty much summarized this profound term in a nutshell: It is a social movement that allows people to express themselves. Now if you are not cut out to be a dancer, you don't have to be one. The term "Hip Hop" covers four elements: Bboying, DJing, MCing, and Graffiti. You choose which path or paths you wish to take! Each of these elements have their roots and are somehow intertwined with each other. Each of these elements also have a social concept that makes each of these elements unique: The concept of battling.

As a bboy, I am still very green when it comes to battling. However, I can say that this concept makes this social movement so unique that no other forms of expression can rival the emotions that a battle can bring forth. The anticipation and the rush of energy a bboy will experience in battle is simply priceless. It's this feeling that makes a bboy want to further pursue the dance in order to perform better in battles.

When I first started out, I can honestly say that it was the pure energy and aerodynamic elements of power moves that drawn me toward this dance. However, as I grow older, I slowly came to realize that this dance has much more to offer. It is by far the best outlet of accumulate stress from every day life that I have ever come across. Now I am not hoping to be a professional bboy. I am not cut out to be that piece of log. However, I respect the art form and I respect the pioneers that used their time, effort, blood, and sweat to create a dance that is so profound and contains infinite possibility. Hopefully this post will brighten the shielded minds of those who thinks that the term "Hip Hop" is only a label to a type of music.

Cheers~

N-dure of Suburbaknightz

No comments:

Post a Comment